Today, I’m putting the “cocktails” back into Closet Full of Cocktails! It’s been waaaaay too long since my last recipe, so I’m very excited to share this one with you all.
In honor of this weekend’s Kentucky Derby, I’m adapting the iconic derby day drink: the Mint Julep. Personally, I’m not a huge bourbon fan (I know, I know…) so I wanted to put my own twist on the traditional recipe. Introducing my Fizzy Mint Julep!
- 1 package of fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon water
- 3 ounces (2 shots) bourbon
- 6 ounces ginger ale
- Crushed ice
- Mint julep cup or highball glass
- Cocktail shaker (optional)
- In a mint julep cup or highball glass, muddle the mint leaves (5-6 leaves, depending on how potent you’d like it) and sugar with 1 teaspoon water until the sugar is dissolved. If you don’t have a muddler, you can use the end of a wooden spoon instead.
- In your cocktail shaker, add crushed ice, bourbon and ginger ale. Shake gently, to avoid flattening the soda. If you prefer, you can skip using a shaker and simply add ingredients directly to your glass.
- Serve garnished with mint sprigs.
And that’s it, that simple. Enjoy your derby day and fizzy julep! Happy betting, y’all.
This recipe was adapted from the original Mint Julep recipe from Real Simple.